Graduate Students and Postdocs
OPEN POSITION: Analytical Chemistry of Vaping Postdoctoral Researcher
Department of Environmental Toxicology – UC Davis
Application review begin date: Immediately, and will continue until the position is filled.
Start dates: Negotiable
The Nguyen lab at UC Davis is seeking a Postdoctoral Researcher with expertise in Analytical Chemistry. The project is focused on quantifying the chemical compounds present in gases and particle mixtures from vaping (e-cigarette) and other emissions. The ideal candidate should have a strong foundation in chemistry, with emphasis on using chromatography (GC and HPLC) and mass spectrometry (ESI-MS, CIMS) to quantify various analytes in complex mixtures. Experience with high-resolution mass spectrometry, vaping, or aerosol complex mixtures is a plus. The postdoc will be responsible for developing instrument protocols, collecting and extracting gas/particle samples, data analyses, and communicating the project findings via presentations and peer-reviewed publications.
The appointment is for one-year, renewable for at least two years subject to satisfactory progress.
• A Ph.D. in Chemistry, Chemical/Environmental Engineering, or related field
• Experience method development using GC and HPLC
• Experience with sample preparation (filtration, extraction, etc.)
• Experience with standard calibration procedures
• Experience with mass spectrometry analysis and interpretation
• Strong communication skills and an ability to work both independently and collaboratively
• Strong attention to detail, evidenced by prior research.
The following qualifications are desirable, but not required:
• Experience with gaseous and/or particle mixtures
• Experience with e-cigarette or vaping research
• Experience with high-resolution mass spectrometry
Starting salary is $60,000 with full benefits.
Undergraduate Student Assistant
We accept qualified undergraduate student assistants for research at any time.